abby rae pawdiatrist2

Foot and ankle concerns can affect people of all ages, not just adults. Children are just as likely to develop foot and ankle problems as their parents, and any complaints should not be ignored due to a child’s developing feet. Parents should watch for signs of foot pain and educate their children about sharing any problems they may experience with their feet or ankles. Children with strong and healthy feet avoid problems in these areas later in life.
Read more about Pediatric Conditions and Heel Pain in Children.

Does your child have questions about podiatry?

PA Foot & Ankle Associates’ Pawdiatrist is here to answer some questions!

What is a “Pawdiatrist”?

A podiatrist is a foot doctor who specializes in taking care of your feet, ankles, and lower extremities (or the lower parts of your body).

What kinds of problems does a “Pawdiatrist” treat?

A podiatrist can help take away any foot, ankle, or lower leg pain you might feel. He or she can also help you if you have trouble walking, running, or playing on your feet. Some podiatry conditions can include heel pain, flat feet, and foot and ankle injuries.

When should I see a “Pawdiatrist”?

You should ask your parent to take you to a podiatrist if you feel any foot or ankle pain, if it hurts to walk, if you fall often or if you have a hard time walking, running, or playing on your feet. If you notice anything wrong with your feet, you can see a podiatrist. A podiatrist can help your feet and ankles feel better!

What are flat feet? How do I know if I have them?

Flat feet is when the bottoms of your feet are flat when you stand. You have flat feet if the bottoms of your feet do not have arches and are flat while standing. Flat feet usually go away by age six, when the feet’s arches develop. If you are an older child and still have flat feet, you may have the condition.

How do I fix my flat feet?

Most of the time, children outgrow their flat feet by the time they become adults. You do not need to fix your flat feet as long as they do not hurt you or make you feel stiff. If you or your parents are unsure, your parents can take you to a podiatrist to have your feet looked at.

What is a pediatric bunion?

A pediatric bunion is when the joint at which your big toe meets the rest of your foot becomes bigger in size and sticks out along the inner edge of your foot. Even though bunions commonly happen in adults, kids can have them too.

How do I fix my bunion?

Bunions in children are often left alone unless they begin to hurt or make walking and moving hard. You and your parents can manage your bunions by using padding and not wearing shoes that are too small or narrow for your feet. Gear for your shoes, such as toe spacers, may also be used. If you or your parents think you have bunions, have them take you to a podiatrist.

What are growth plate injuries? What is Sever’s disease?

Growth plates are areas near the ends of the long bones in the legs and arms of children. These areas are made of growing tissue, and injury to these areas can cause problems in your body as you grow. Sever’s disease is an example of a growth plate injury that may happen in the growth plate of your foot’s heel. Sever’s disease can hurt because it causes the growth plate to swell.

How do I fix Sever’s disease?

Sever’s disease can be painful, so the goal in treating Sever’s disease is making the pain go away. If you have Sever’s disease, your podiatrist may tell you to lessen or avoid physical activities that cause pain. He or she may also suggest light exercises, wrapping the painful area, and taking over-the-counter medication to lessen the pain.

Connect With Us

Podiatric Procedures & Services in the Allentown PA 18104, Easton PA 18042, Northampton PA 18067, Lansford PA 18232 and Bangor, PA 18013 area